RT-AC68U router specifications (specs)
CPU: 800 MHz
RAM: 256 MiB
Flash: 128 MiB
Custom firmwares: OpenWrt
WiFi: Gigabit (abgn+ac)
WiFi bands: 2.4GHz & 5GHz
WiFi throughput: n/a
WAN: 1 x Gigabit port
ETH: 4 x Gigabit ports
Hard reset instructions for ASUS RT-AC68U
If your RT-AC68U router is not working as it should, dropping connections or not
responsive, you should first do a reset of the router to see if the problems persist. Other
scenarios where you might want to reset your router is if you've forgotten the password or
misconfigured it and can't get access anymore.
Your can reset your ASUS RT-AC68U in the following way(s):
Through the web-interface
- Open your browser and navigate to the default gateway ip (check default settings below)
- Sign in to the web-interface with the username and password you have selected, or try the defaulr username and password (check default settings below)
- Under the advanced settings menu, select administration
- Find the link "Restore/Save/Upload Setting"
- Beside Factory default click on Restore
- If prompted, click ok
With the reset button on the router
- Locate the reset button on the backside of your unit
- with a sharp object, e.g. a paperclip or pencil, press and hold the reset button for 5s or until the power led starts flashing
The 30-30-30 resetIf the above instructions don't work you can always try the 30-30-30 reset as follows:
- When router is powered on, press the reset button and hold for 30 seconds. (Use a paper clip or something sharp)
- While holding the reset button pressed, unplug the power of the router and hold the reset button for 30 seconds
- While still holding the reset button down, turn on the power to the unit again and hold for another 30 seconds.
This process usually works for resetting any router to it's factory setting.
If that doesn't work be sure to check out the
questions and answers
incase someone else has had similar problems resetting their router.
Note: It is worth reading more about how to reset routers with the 30 30 30 reset and what the risks and considerations are when resetting your router this way, instead of just rebooting it.
Default factory settings for ASUS RT-AC68U
If you have performed a reset of your RT-AC68U device or not changed the defaults, you should be able to access it with the following settings:
Default Gateway IP: 192.168.1.1 ASUS login instructions
Default username: admin ASUS router default password list
Default password: admin
Default subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default DNS server: 192.168.1.1
Note: If you are using the default settings you should change them to increase security and prevent unathorized access to your network.
User Manuals for RT-AC68U
Do you still have questions concerning the router that you can't find online? You can always try the manuals where most questions should be answered from the manufacturer. Below are the device manuals available for your RT-AC68U.
|UserMan-(P48-P84) (click to download)||2.86 MB||July 5, 2013|
|UserMan-(P85-P129) (click to download)||3.58 MB||July 5, 2013|
|Users Manual (click to download)||4.09 MB||July 31, 2014|
|UserMan-(P1-P47) (click to download)||4.1 MB||July 5, 2013|
Staying up to date with the latest firmware is a good idea to keep your router even more
from various security flaws.
If you want to squeeze a little bit of extra functionality out of your router, consider flashing an open-source firmware like dd-wrt, openWRT or LEDE. Flashing a custom ROM can greatly increase the stability and functionality of your old router.
Following are the firmwares that we have identified existing for the ASUS RT-AC68U:
Flashing OpenWrt on the ASUS RT-AC68U
The ASUS RT-AC68U is supported by OpenWrt according to their Table of
flashing OpenWrt onto it should be quite straigthforward.
We couldn't find any specific instructions for flashin OpenWrt on the ASUS RT-AC68U, but since it's listed in their Table of Hardware as supported, you can head over to the OpenWrt install instructions and read on there.
Note: Flashing custom firmwares is always on you're on own risk. Make sure to read OpenWrt's wikis to understand the risks and how to proceed if something goes wrong.
ASUS stock firmware for the RT-AC68U
Stock firmwares for the RT-AC68U are available under the download section on the modem's support page. You can also refer to the router's manual for instructions on how to upgrade the firmware.
Report error on page
(If info is incorrect)