How to reset your Netgear router
And restore the default password and settings
If your Netgear router is acting up, or you have forgotten your password, you can reset it to get it back to the defaults.
There are two fairly easy ways to do this:
- Option 1: Through the admin interface
- Option 2: Pressing the reset button
When you reset your Netgear router all the current settings will also be lost, consider this before performing the reset.
Option 1: Reset through the admin interface
If your Netgear router configuration is still working, and you know the admin password, you can use this option.
Once you have all things needed from the checklist we can continue resetting your Netgear router.
- Open a web browser of your choosing (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, ..)
http://routerlogin.net(or use the IP address of your Netgear router.
Common IPs for Netgear routers are
Login to your device with your username and password.
The most common combination for Netgear routers is
admin / password
The reset page can differ a bit depending on your Netgear model, look for the following:
- Settings > Administration > Factory Reset
- Click the factory reset / restore option and confirm as needed
- Wait for a while for the router to reboot.
Option 2: Pressing the reset button
If you don't remember the password to your Netgear your router, or it is not working, this is probably the way to go.
- Physical access to the Netgear router/modem.
A paperclip or similar sharp object.
(This might not be needed, depending on which Netgear model you have)
Step 1: Locate the reset button
The reset button is usually hidden inside a small hole, but sometimes also sticking out like a normal button.
Step 2: Perform the Netgear reset sequence
The reset sequence for your router is as follows:
- Ensure that the device is powered on
- Press and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds.
- When the LED lights start flashing, let go of the reset button
- Wait a minute or so for the LED lights to start lighting as usual.
Your Netgear router is now reset to its factory defaults.