How to reset your Xfinity (Comcast) router
And restore the default password and settings
If your Xfinity router is acting up, or you have forgotten your password, you can reset it to get it back to the defaults.
There are two fairly easy ways to do this:
- Option 1: Through the admin interface
- Option 2: Pressing the reset button
When you reset your Xfinity router all the current settings will also be lost, consider this before performing the reset.
Option 1: Reset through the admin interface
If your Xfinity router configuration is still working, and you know the admin password, you can use this option.
Once you have all things needed from the checklist we can continue resetting your Xfinity router.
- Open a web browser of your choosing (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, ..)
Common IPs for Xfinity routers are
Login to your device with your username and password.
The most common combination for Xfinity routers is
None / None
The reset page can differ a bit depending on your Xfinity model, look for the following:
- Troubleshooting > Reset/Restore Gateway > RESTORE FACTORY SETTINGS
- Click the factory reset / restore option and confirm as needed
- Wait for a while for the router to reboot.
Option 2: Pressing the reset button
If you don't remember the password to your Xfinity your router, or it is not working, this is probably the way to go.
- Physical access to the Xfinity router/modem.
A paperclip or similar sharp object.
(This might not be needed, depending on which Xfinity model you have)
Step 1: Locate the reset button
The reset button is usually hidden inside a small hole, but sometimes also sticking out like a normal button.
Step 2: Perform the Xfinity reset sequence
The reset sequence for your router is as follows:
- Ensure that the device is powered on
- Press and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds.
- When the LED lights start flashing, let go of the reset button
- Wait a minute or so for the LED lights to start lighting as usual.
Your Xfinity router is now reset to its factory defaults.