How To Activate Full-Screen Mode in Internet Explorer 11Posted May 7, 2019, 10:39 a.m. by Michael Golohor
The web appearance of a browser is very essential for some of us. For various reasons, some people would prefer a full-screen view instead of the windowed mode of the Internet Explorer, and by default, most of the Windows applications open in Windowed mode.
Like many other modern web browsers, the Internet Explorer gives you the option to view web pages in full-screen mode. In a full-screen mode, all items are hidden such as toolbars, tabs, bookmarks bars, and even the download/status bar. Hence, with a full-screen mode, only the main browser window is visible to you on the screen.
The full-screen mode is very effective and useful, especially when you're viewing rich content such as an HD Video. The full-screen mode is also great for playing games on your browser. It is also a good tool for those who want to view a web page without all the distractions of the surrounding elements.
Activate Full-Screen Mode in Internet Explorer 11
With just a few steps you can easily toggle the full-screen mode in your internet explorer 11.
- Launch the internet explorer
- Click on the Gear icon present on the upper right corner of your browser window
- In the drop-down menu, go to the File option which will open a sub-menu
- Click on Full Screen (you can also use the keyboard shortcut F11)
Your browser is now in full-screen mode. By pressing the F11 key present on your keyboard, you can easily disable the full-screen mode and switch back to your standard internet explorer 11 windowed mode or view.
Once you enable the full-screen mode on your Internet Explorer 11, it will remain in that mode, even when you close the browser and open it again, you will find it in full-screen mode only unless you disable it.
You can even change the view modes of your internet browser window with the help of registry value.
Registry Value – for opening the internet explorer 11 in full-screen mode
- Go to Start > Run, type “Regedit”
- Navigate to the below-mentioned location by using the key hierarchy in the left navigation pane:
- Double click on the Full-Screen string within the main key
- Type YES in place of the word NO, in the “Value Data” text box
- Click OK, close Regedit,
The internet explorer will now default to full-screen mode. You can always disable it by following the above-mentioned steps and replacing the Yes by a No.
Here are a few windows shortcut keys which will come handy when you are using the full-screen mode in your internet explorer:
- Press Alt+F4 to close the internet explorer
- You can always use the windows key to see the start menu and the taskbar, from where you can launch other programs
- Hold down the windows key and press TAB to see all your open windows and desktop, all are displayed as thumbnails.
By pressing the TAB key, you get the highlight over the window you wish to work on with and let go of the windows key
- To minimize or close a window, press Alt+Space
- If you hold down the Windows key and press D, all open windows will be minimized, and the desktop will be in view
If you prefer using Internet Explorer 11, you can easily set Internet Explorer 11 as your default browser in Windows 10. By doing so, all those tasks that require a web browser will automatically open and use internet explorer 11 only.
Set Internet Explorer 11 as your default browser
- Right click on the windows icon and select Search
- Type Control Panel, in the search field
- Click on Network and Internet, in the Control Panel
- Select Programs from the options list
- Click Default Programs, and then go to Set your default programs
- A window will pop-up, locate and select Internet Explorer from it
You can also pin the internet explorer 11 to the taskbar. By doing so you can have still easy access to internet explorer without setting it as your default browser. To do so:
- Click on Start
- Type Internet Explorer in the search field
- When internet explorer 11 appears in the list, right click on it and select Pin to Start or Pin to Taskbar